Friday, December 14, 2012

AFI # 92: Goodfellas (1990)

#92 on 2007 AFI 100 Greatest Movies of All Time
#94 on 1998 AFI 100 Greatest Movies of All Time
#2 on AFI's Top 10 Gangster Films

What can I say about Goodfellas that you don't all already know.  It's a fantastic movie.  It has fantastic acting: Robert DeNiro, Joe Pesci, Ray Liotta.  It has fantastic writing: "I'm funny how, like I'm a clown? I amuse you?" It has a fantastic soundtrack: Cream, The Rolling Stones, The Who.
It is completely entertaining from beginning to end.  The only complaint I have is that the real-life Henry Hill was an asshole and this movie makes you kind of like him.  But that's not a very big complaint.

Mike is also a fan of the soundtrack.  And he likes the longshot through the kitchen. 

But what else is there to say? We didn't really have any discussions beyond talking about how awesome it was... for example:

[Tommy shoots Billy Batts]
Me: He's crazy.
Mike: Yeah.
Me: This movie is awesome.

Or:

[Instead of getting made, Tommy gets dead]
Me: That was crazy.
Mike: Yeah.
Me: This movie is awesome.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think that Joe Pesci is the reason that this movie is so awesome.  He did win an Oscar for this performance, and I think it was completely deserved.  Because everytime I try to think of why this movie is awesome, it always comes back to Tommy... not Henry Hill.  Although I must say that Ray Liotta is very good looking and this is probably his best ever role.  But it's really all about Tommy, isn't it?  Anyway, it's also a great performance from Robert DeNiro, although I think there are a couple better ones further up the list.

So, since this movie is so awesome, we both put it at #1 on our lists.  Which makes it #1 overall.  For the time being.  I should mention that it is #1, not just for being ambiguously awesome, but for being a well directed, well acted movie with a fantastic soundtrack that happens to be wildly entertaining.  So that's the standard...

No comments:

Post a Comment