Monday, December 3, 2012

AFI # 92.5: A Place in the Sun (1951)

#92 on 1998 AFI 100 Greatest Movies of All Time

I thought this movie was really boring.  I have never seen anything with Montgomery Clift, I thought he was fantastic.  Wasn't overly impressed with Elizabeth Taylor, I'm more looking forward to some of her other movies. I thought the trivia on IMDB was more interesting than the movie.  And I definitely want to see more Montgomery Clift movies.  But since I didn't love the movie, I will let Mike tell you what he thought...

Me: Mike, what did you think of  A Place in the Sun?
Mike: Which one was that?
Me: Where he maybe killed his girlfriend.  In the boat.
Mike: Right. Pleasantly surprising direction.  Impressed with whatshername... Elizabeth Taylor [heh].  She was better than I expected.  I liked the boat parallels to Godfather 2, twenty years later [what a guy thing to say]. 
Me: Anything else.
Mike: No.

Also, Mike looked up Montgomery Clift and regrets it.  Apparently his life was incredibly sad, so Mike has decided he does not want to see any more Montgomery Clift movies.  Mike is now telling me about Montgomery Clift's life... and it is really depressing.  But I still want to see more Montgomery Clift movies. 

Anyway, the current rankings, if you care to see them.  First, the overall, then the individuals...

  1. Do the Right Thing

2. Pulp Fiction

3. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

4. Blade Runner

5. The Last Picture Show

6. The French Connection

7. A Place in the Sun

8. Toy Story

9. Yankee Doodle Dandy

10. Ben-Hur

Mike Sara
1 Do the Right Thing 1 Pulp Fiction
2 Guess Who's Coming to Dinner 2 Do the Right Thing
3 Pulp Fiction 3 Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
4 Blade Runner 4 The Last Picture Show
5 A Place in the Sun 5 Blade Runner
6 The French Connection 6 The French Connection
7 The Last Picture Show 7 Yankee Doodle Dandy
8 Toy Story 8 A  Place in the Sun
9 Ben-Hur 9 Toy Story
10 Yankee Doodle Dandy 10 Ben-Hur

No comments:

Post a Comment